1/12

Church of St. John the Baptist, Pskov.

The Church of St. John the Baptist originally was part of the Ivanovsky Monastery and dates from the 13th century or earlier. Rebuilt a number of times in the intervening centuries, the church was restored to something more like its original appearance after being partly destroyed in World War II, according to a 1979 New York Times travel report.
2/12

A colorful monastery

Buildings of the Monastery of the Caves in Pechory, near Pskov, Russia, founded in the mid-15th century, when the first hermits settled in local caves. While the first Church of the Dormition, or Assumption, of the Theotokos was built in 1473, its modern facade was constructed in the 18th century.
3/12

Church of the Theophany, Pskov.

This church is named for the Theophany, the feast that is called the Epiphany in the Western Church.
4/12

Trinity Cathedral in Pskov's Kremlin

Pskov was an independent republic until 1510, when it was absorbed by Moscow. Its Krom, or Kremlin, was its administrative and spiritual center. This citadel was built at the junction of the Velikaya River and smaller Pskova river, where the Cathedral of the Trinity had stood since the 12th century or earlier.
5/12

Caves Monastery domes

According to Wikipedia, the Caves Monastery outside Pskov is one of the few Russian monasteries that have never been closed at any point in their existence, including during World War II and the Soviet regime.
6/12

Blue chapels of the Caves Monastery

Thanks to the fact that Pechory, home to the Pskov Caves Monastery, was part of Estonia from 1920-1944, the monastery escaped destruction during the Second World War.
7/12

Church of Varlaam-Khutynsky, Pskov

8/12

Trinity Cathedral

Trinity Cathedral, located in the Pskov Krom, or Kremlin, was built in 1138 to replace a wooden church from the 10th century. The current church dates from 1699, as Trinity had been destroyed and rebuilt several times over the centuries. The cathedral was part of the Bolshevik-sponsored Living Church movement in the 1920s before its closure in the 1930s, at which time it was turned into a museum. It was reopened as a church during the Nazi occupation and remained open after the war.
9/12

Pskov church in winter

10/12

Trinity Cathedral interior

Though the Russian word sobor is often loosely translated as "cathedral" and applied to a number of churches, Trinity is a cathedral in the strict sense of the word, being the seat of the bishop of the Pskov Eparchy.
11/12

Another view of the Caves monastery

12/12

Mirozhsky Monastery

Mirozhsky Monastery is a 12th-century monastery in Pskov. It is famous for its frescoes, located in Christ's Transfiguration Cathedral.