St. Mary of the Angels Chapel in Rotterdam's St. Lawrence Cemetery
Rotterdam's St. Lawrence cemetery was designed in 1865 by H.J. van der Brink, a Dutch architect who designed many neoclassical and neo-Gothic structures around the country. It originally featured a neo-Gothic chapel, which collapsed a century later due to poor soil conditions. Another chapel was erected in 1963 but its foundations also started to crumble few decades later. So in 2001, Dutch architectural firm Mecanoo was assigned to come up with a new chapel on the same site of the original one—the remains of the original wall are still visible when visiting the chapel.
© Christian Richters