Initial reports indicate a large number of casualties
UPDATE 5:24pm Eastern: Use Google Person Finder to find a loved one at the Boston Marathon with whom you've lost contact.
UPDATE 5:20pm Eastern: The NY Post reports: "Authorities have a identified a suspect, a Saudi national, who is currently being guarded in a Boston hospital with shrapnel wounds."
UPDATE 5:15pm Eastern: AP reports that two more explosives that did not go off were found near the site of the explosions.
CNN reports that at least two explosions occured near the finish line of the Boston Marathon today. The NY Times called it a "series of explosions". ABC has reported that the Boston police have confirmed at least 22 injured and 2 dead from the explosions. The bombs were homemade.
The NY Times reported that "the Boston Police Department confirmed that they were looking into an explosion, but had no further comment."
ABC News has a set of pictures from the scene, and also reports: "Trauma nurse tells ABC News that the race’s medical tent has become a makeshift morgue. Dealing with injuries including severed limbs and children with severe burns."
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!