A spiritual director helps you discern God’s voice in your life
How does a spiritual director help you? First, it’s important to understand that a spiritual director is not to be thought of as your personal oracle with some secret view of your future, who will be able to tell you exactly what to do in every particular circumstance. They are a companion who helps lead you to the voice of God within – they don’t necessarily know what He is saying to you! God is at all times the true Director.
A good spiritual director is a guide who knows the teachings of the Church and always offers you advice through a faithful observance of them. They will help you, through reflection on the current events of your life, and through praying with you, to become more present to your own relationship with God and to the subtle ways in which He may nudging you. They might help you discern which spiritual practices are or methods of prayers are most helpful for you.
Spiritual directors can be clergy or laypersons, and either male or female. The qualities that will ensure their ability to fulfill their role are a mature and well-informed faith and prayer life of their own and the ability to listen to, encourage, and challenge their spiritual charge to a greater awareness of God’s action and call in their life.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!