Ecosia invites you make the world greener while you search the web
Ecosia, which was founded in 2009 and is based in Berlin, Germany, say it chose trees because they are “nature’s high-impact home remedy.”
Trees are extremely important to the planet’s health. According to Ecosia, they absorb CO2, one of the main drivers of climate change; they protect soil from erosion and create fertile land; they produce oxygen and increase ground water levels; and in greater numbers they turn into forests, which can be sustainably harvested. Some 1.6 billion people rely on healthy forests for their livelihoods.
A small group of internet users have already planted more than 6 million trees just by using Ecosia as their default search engine. And users can check to make sure the profits are going where they’re supposed to because Ecosia publishes monthly reports and tracks how many trees are being planted through the programs it supports in different parts of the world. Right now, those programs are in Peru, Madagascar, Indonesia, and Burkina Faso.
Madagascar, for example, which is probably the world’s leading hot spot in terms of biodiversity, has lost 90 percent of its forests. Ecosia’s partner, Eden Restoration Project, has hired local villagers to re-plant the trees so wildlife can return to the vast island nation off the southeast coast of Africa.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!