Andra Day’s powerful vocal ensures its spot as a classic.
As the song progresses the listener realizes the song could easily be about either partner as they each struggle to stay positive and live normal lives. In a live recording, Andra commented about “Rise Up”:
“‘Rise Up’ is just a song about any type of relationship. It’s actually really about how I look at everyone as we are all brothers and sisters and we are all a working body together. So ‘Rise Up’ is really about saying one piece isn’t bigger than another and when this part is struggling I’m gonna help you, I’m gonna lift you up, I’ll be there. If you’re going through pain I’ll go through the pain with you. If you’re celebrating I’ll celebrate with you. So it’s just sort of saying ’I will rise up for you.’”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!