Aleteia logoAleteia logo
Aleteia
Tuesday 21 September |
The Feast of Saint Matthew the Apostle
home iconNews
line break icon

Sperm count plummets over 50 percent in Western men

Sperm

Public Domain

J-P Mauro - published on 08/16/17 - updated on 08/16/17

Puzzled researchers are working hard to find out why.

An international team has examined the semen samples of nearly 43,000 men, collected from 1973 to 2011, and the results show a significant decline in Western men’s ability to produce sperm. Their research found men from North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand have experienced a 52.4 percent drop in sperm concentration and a 59.3 percent drop in their sperm counts.

Western men made up about 75 percent of the study. The remaining 25 percent came from less developed regions in Africa, the Middle East, Asia and areas of South America.

New York Times spoke with Dr. Shanna H. Swan, one of the study’s authors and a professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York, who claimed that the analysis shows “this decline is strong and continuing.”

Dr. Swan went on to explain that the downtrend in Western countries means that we may find the cause in commercial chemicals. This includes everything from a mother smoking during pregnancy to exposure to phthalates.

Phthalates are a group of chemicals used to make plastics more flexible and harder to break. Phthalates have been found to disrupt the operation of male hormones and have been linked to birth defects. While the ability to detect these plasticizers has only been around since 2000, we know that less developed countries would not have been exposed to them as long as the West has, which could account for the difference in sperm production.

This is all still a theory. There has not been enough research done with phthalates to reach a definitive conclusion. It should also be mentioned that while an over-50 percent decrease in sperm production sounds high, it is a change from roughly 99 million sperm per milliliter to about 47 million. A significant enough drop to cause concern, but the human race is in no danger of ceasing reproduction any time soon.

Tags:
MedicineScience

Support Aleteia!

If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.

Here are some numbers:

  • 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
  • Aleteia is published every day in seven languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
  • Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
  • Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
  • Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
  • We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)

As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.

Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!

Daily prayer
And today we celebrate...




Top 10
1
ANMOL RODRIGUEZ
Domitille Farret d'Astiès
Attacked with acid as a baby, Anmol Rodriguez overcomes and inspi...
2
ARGENTINE CHILDREN
Esteban Pittaro
Argentine “Mother Teresa” was a former model and actress who embr...
3
RESURRECTION
Philip Kosloski
Your body is not a “shell” for your spirit
4
Our Lady of La Salette
Philip Kosloski
How Our Lady of La Salette can give us hope in darkness
5
PIER GIORGIO FRASSATI
Cerith Gardiner
12 Habits of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati that every young adult...
6
Visalia CHURCH
J-P Mauro
The largest Catholic parish church in the US will soon be in Cali...
7
CHAPEL OUR LADY MIRACULOUS MEDAL
Zelda Caldwell
A pilgrimage to Paris’ Chapel of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
See More
Newsletter
Get Aleteia delivered to your inbox. Subscribe here.