Look not, O Lord, on our poverty …
we entrust to your immense goodness
all those who have left this world for eternity,
where you wait for all humanity,
redeemed by the precious blood of Christ your Son,
who died as a ransom for our sins.
Look not, O Lord,
on our poverty,
our human weakness,
when we appear before you to be judged for joy or for condemnation.
Look upon us with mercy,
born of the tenderness of your heart,
and help us to walk
in the ways of complete purification.
Let none of your children
be lost in the eternal fire,
where there can be no repentance.
We entrust to you, O Lord,
the souls of our beloved dead,
of those who have died
without the comfort of the sacraments,
or who have not had an opportunity to repent,
even at the end of their lives.
May none of them be afraid to meet You,
after their earthly pilgrimage,
but may they always hope to be welcomed
in the embrace of your infinite mercy.
May our Sister, corporal death
find us always vigilant in prayer
and filled with the goodness done
in the course of our short or long lives.
Lord, may no earthly thing
ever separate us from You,
but may everyone and everything
support us with a burning desire
to rest peacefully and eternally in You.
This “Prayer for the Dead,” from Passionist Fr. Antonio Rungi, was prayed by Pope Francis during the Angelus address of Nov. 2, 2014.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!