A sweet welcome!
Far from “cooling their hearts,” quipped the Polish cardinal, this ice cream is “a sign of the pope’s tenderness” for migrants. For the papal almoner, “The hope is that they find here, in Italy, everywhere, a Christian and generous heart and that they might finally feel at home.”
With the ice cream, the Vatican official also brought the greeting and blessing of the pope. Then he had lunch with the hosts and the center’s managers.
After disembarking from an Italian Coast Guard ship, some of these migrants were temporarily accommodated in the Mondo migliore (“Better World”) center, in Rocca di Papa, a municipality southeast of Rome, near Castel Gandolfo. At the end of the week, they will leave the municipality to head to destinations determined by the Italian episcopal conference.
About 20,000 other ice cream cones were distributed the same day at different welcoming centers in the capital.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!