It is estimated that 11 Christians are killed every day for their faith.
“Saul, why are you persecuting me?” – Acts 9:4
The scriptures and history books have extensive records of early Christinan persecution, but Jesus said, “The world will hate you because of me” (Matthew 10:22). Indeed, the world is not yet done with its ill treatment of the One True Church. In the 21st century, attacks against Christians are on the rise, reaching the highest levels of hate and violence against the faithful in living memory.
According to Open Doors’ 2019 World Watch List—a comprehensive investigative report that examines global Christian persecution—the stark rise of anti-Christian sentiment is cause for alarm. Research from the report estimates that 11 Christians are killed for their faith every single day. If left unchecked, 2019 will see the deaths of 4,015 of our brothers and sisters in Christ.
In the slideshow we take a look at the 10 worst perpetrators of aggression and disregard towards our community. We encourage you to offer your prayers to those who live in these unwelcoming countries and to contemplate Christ’s words, which call for us to stand together as one Church as we hold firm to our faith amid the tumultuous and fickle nature of the mobs.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!