Jean Vanier is 90; the work he established has brought community to thousands with mental and physical disabilities
Vanier suffered a heart attack in October 2017 and has been resting since then, with periodic treatment. He has lived until recently at the small L’Arche home in Trosly-Breuil (Oise, France).
Vanier told Aleteia last September: “Today, I have no future, but I am happy in the present. At every moment.”
“Give us attentive hearts”
For decades, the work he founded has accompanied thousands of people around the world: In 2018, L’Arche in France had 4,000 members, including 1,800 disabled people and 1,150 volunteers.
His prayer, “Give us attentive hearts,” is recited daily in the homes of L’Arche:
O Mary, give us attentive,
humble and gentle hearts
to welcome with tenderness and compassion
all the poor you send to us.
Give us hearts full of mercy
to love them, to serve them,
to extinguish all discord
and to see in our suffering and broken brothers
the presence of the living Jesus.
Lord, bless us with the hands of your poor.
Lord, smile at us in the eyes of your poor.
Lord, you receive us one day
in the happy company of your poor.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!