But for immediate results that you can put into practice right now, right this very minute while reading this, I recommend letting your work and your life be the prayer. If you have no time for 30 minutes of contemplation then spend thirty seconds silently saying a Hail Mary while you fold laundry, sit in traffic, or fix dinner. The Jesus Prayer is my favorite prayer for getting through the day. It can be said in 5 seconds flat and is meant to be a running prayer in our mind, like breathing.
Another thing I relied heavily on to get me through those spiritually starved spells was adoration. If you have a chapel near your with perpetual adoration it will save your life.
When the DC staff first read this advice we were a little disappointed. It almost seemed too easy an answer to pray quickly wherever you are, but then we started thinking of all the time we’ve spent in traffic, uttering unpleasantries instead of praise to the Lord, or the time spent waiting patiently for our children’s activities to end so we can drive them home. All of this time could have been spent contemplating the vastness of spirituality, but has instead been spent on phone apps and Facebook.
Perhaps this advice is not as easy as we originally thought. What do you think?
[Editor’s Note: Read More – 5 Steps to a do-it-yourself retreat]
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!