Baptism in the Spirit is an experience of a renewal or actualization of the graces received in the Sacraments
One of the long-time leaders of the Charismatic Renewal in the United States, Ralph Martin, writes that baptism in the Spirit is “an experience of the Spirit that is often accompanied by a deeper personal encounter with Christ, characterized by a glimpse of his Lordship, an experience of the Father’s love that is personal and deeply liberating, and a new awareness that we are truly not orphans but that the Holy Spirit is truly present and ready to encourage, convict, guide, and help us understand the things of God” (Ralph Martin, A New Pentecost – Catholic Theology and Baptism in the Spirit).
The effects of being “baptized in the Spirit” are an increase in, or a revitalization of the gifts of the Holy Spirit as outlined in the Catechism: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord (Catechism, 1831). However, the gifts experienced after being baptized in the Spirit could also be the charismatic gifts as described in Scriptures, such as healing, prophecy, discernment of spirits, tongues and interpretation of tongues (ref. 1 Corinthians 12). It is through baptism in the Spirit, therefore, that we are prepared for the work with which every Christian is charged: to know Christ better, and to make him better known.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!