Aleteia campaign collects 300,000 signatures from around the globe
During the meeting, Alexander Aleinikoff, Deputy High Commissioner of the United Nations for Refugees, stressed the importance of mobilizing public opinion in the face of the humanitarian tragedy taking place in Iraq.
Archbishop Silvano Maria Tomasi, Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations, took part in the meeting. He underlined the urgency of providing aid to Iraqi Christians in anticipation of the winter weather.
“The current situation in Iraq is our priority,” responded the Deputy High Commissioner, expressing his gratitude for this effort to raise awareness on behalf of those who are in danger.
“These signatures represent a cry of hope and a cry for help for thousands of refugees, so that this crime against humanity might be stopped,” said Jesús Colina, Aleteia’s Editorial Director, as the petition was presented.
In conclusion, Archbishop Tomasi reiterated the important role the media can play in keeping attention focused on what is happening in Iraq.
You can take part in the petition at this address: http://citizengo.org/it/9795-salviamo-i-cristiani-delliraq.
Contact: Silvia Constantini
email@example.com Mobile: +39 3476441616
The Geneva-based media agency PaxPress has produced a three-minute video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfyU6vB0f-Y
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!