The flight to eternity of a pilot who died with the Brazilian soccer team
As a crew member, Gus died in the tragedy. A message he posted on social media shortly before the crash has sparked even greater sadness, the Paraguayan daily Hoy reported. It also comes as an invitation to reflect. He wrote:
“Where do you look for your life? Forward or behind? May the Lord grant you the grace to leave things behind, even those which you consider precious in this life, and may he allow you to look ahead, where Christ is waiting for you, for a glorious meeting that will open the gates of eternity.”
Gus’s Facebook page reveals a man who loved flying, his family, and his faith.
Gus’s mother told another Paraguayan media outlet that, before the flight, her son had promised to bring along the images of the Child Jesus as a special remembrance of the baptism of his youngest child.
Gus had three children: a 20-year-old son, a daughter aged 17, and a two-year-old little girl.
Translation from the Italian by Diane Montagna of Aleteia’s English edition.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!