The way he shares his gifts with the students is a Lenten inspiration
For 35 years, soft-spoken Hatchett has handled security for Wilson Middle School, in Pasadena, California. By day, he walks the halls as the friendliest security guard, engaging with the students and keeping them in line. After school, however, he dons the hat of music director and runs the school’s many musical groups, including drum line, orchestra, and the jazz band.
Hachett seeks no compensation. He performs these duties as a volunteer and even lends or donates his own equipment. His love of music and of sharing his gifts is apparent on his kind face and he speaks of his programs with the utmost humility. You can see from his reactions with the children that the best part of his day is going to work.
His efforts have touched students and faculty alike:
“Everything that involves drums, Marvin has taught me. I had no experience,” student Dillon Akers said. “If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be doing this right now.”
“He has integrity and he has a humbleness that is just a rare quality,” Principal Sarah Rudchenko said.
In an interview with Go Public, Marvin speaks of his students returning when they are in high school to help the younger students. It seems a shame that his program ends once the kids leave middle school.
Mr. Hatchett is an inspiration. Perhaps, instead of giving something up this Lent, we should make a greater effort to give something of ourselves to others and use our time and gifts to spread joy.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!