Community respond to terror with acts of kindness
“When I think of Manchester, of the place that I know, I think of the spirit of the people there and I’m telling you, a more tight-knit group of people, you will be hard-pressed to find.”
Stories on social media and in the news have emerged to prove Corden right. Shortly after the attack, Mancunians (as they are called) rushed to offer free taxi rides, open their homes to those fleeing the attack, assist emergency personnel and help reunite victims with their families:
• A number of taxi drivers offered free rides to victims, including “AJ” who put up a “Free Taxi” in his cab after the attack.
• Members of the community offered spare rooms for those stranded in the city, using the hashtag #RoomForManchester. Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham tweeted: “If you are stranded in the area you can also follow #RoomForManchester where hotels and local people of our great city are offering refuge.”
• Reports emerged that cafes were offering free drinks for the police and emergency personnel, and that people were lining up to donate blood, according to the BBC.
• Paula Robinson, who happened to be passing by the concert hall when she heard the explosion, led 50 young teens to safety in a local hotel, and helped them reunite with their families, according to a report in The Telegraph.
Mayor Burnham praised the conduct of his city’s residents. “They responded in the best possible way with generosity, with kindness, that was I think humbling,” he told the BBC.
“And I think that sends a message to the whole world about what kind of people we are here.
“In this darkest hour – every single person in greater Manchester will be proud that people responded in that particular way and I’d like to thank them for doing that.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!