He came alone, prayed in silence, and received the Eucharist
This is what it felt like for the parishioners at noon mass at the Modern Gymnasium in Bogota. There, they suddenly met the vocalist of the historic band U2 who took a break in his busy day of touring in Colombia to attend a local parish Mass and receive the Holy Eucharist.
According to those attending Mass, Bono arrived alone. He stayed quietly in the back of the room, prayed in silence and received Communion. He was just one more parishioner who attended the Sunday Eucharist.
The Eucharist ended and Bono left as he had arrived, making no noise and with the apparent sole intention of feeling the presence of God.
It’s a surprise to meet someone famous at Mass. In Bono’s case the surprise may be more that he was in Bogota, Colombia, but not that he was at Mass. He himself has on numerous occasions given testimony of faith:
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!