Jazz up this typical lunch item with healthy seasonal ingredients.
So, sure, pack those crustless mayo-tuna sandwich squares for the kids’ lunches, but then upgrade your own with this deliciously adult version: the fall combination of hearty apples, beets and goat cheese blend inside your healthy tortilla for a creamy crunch, sure to satisfy your noontime hunger pang.
Pro tip: Wrap your wrap in colorful paper before heading out the door, not just to contain any mess, but to give yourself something cheery to look forward to later in the day. Your lunch will feel like a special little gift, just for you.
Autumn tuna wraps
Serves: 4 tortillas (2 people)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes to bake the beetroots
4 large whole wheat tortillas
3½ oz of creamy goat cheese
1 can tuna (5 oz)
1 small red onion
2 handfuls of kale sprouts
your favorite fresh herbs—we use basil and oregano
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Wash the beetroots and wrap each one in foil. Bake for 30 minutes and let them cool down.
3. Slice the apples, the peeled beetroots and the onion.
4. Mix the avocado and goat cheese in a food processor until very smooth
5. Lay out a large piece of wax paper and place whole wheat tortilla on top.
6. Spread avocado dip on half of the tortilla. Then place kale sprouts, apples, beetroot, onion, tuna, fresh herbs on top and season with salt and pepper.
7. Roll everything into a wrap, then firmly roll wax paper around the wrap, forming pockets at top and bottom, and secure with either adhesive tape or a string. Repeat with the other tortillas.
Inspired by: Green Healthy Cooking
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!