University’s Prince Alwaleen Bin Talal Center is named for royal who donated $20 million in 2005
Prince al-Waleed bin Talal and at least 10 other princes, four ministers and tens of former ministers were arrested in what appears to some as a move to consolidate the power of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the favorite son and top adviser of King Salman, according to the New York Times.
“The king had decreed the creation of a powerful new anticorruption committee, headed by the crown prince, only hours before the committee ordered the arrests,” the Times reported.
Georgetown’s Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding was founded in 1993 by an agreement between the Fondation pour L’Entente entre Chretiens et Musulmans, Geneva and Georgetown University “to build stronger bridges of understanding between the Muslim world and the West as well as between Islam and Christianity,” the center’s website explains. “The Center’s mission is to improve relations between the Muslim world and the West and enhance understanding of Muslims in the West.”
In December 2005, the Center received a $20 million dollar gift from Prince al-Waleed to support and expand. The Center was renamed the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding. According to the university, th endowed fund was the second largest single gift in Georgetown University history.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!