Hidden Wings has prepared and guided more than 400 students in taking their next big step.
Since 2009, Hidden Wings, a privately funded, parent-run program based in California’s Santa Ynez Valley, has helped more than 400 young people with autism and learning disabilities cultivate talents that are often masked by their social limitations. With an emphasis on rigorous exercise, a predictable and loving environment, and individualized intellectual stimulation, the program’s graduates include an award winning artist, a published author and even — most recently — this Home Depot Employee of the Month, Caleb Willis.
Willis spent much of his teen years at Hidden Wings participating in hiking, kayaking, and other outdoor activities. It was during his time in the program that his love for hands-on, outdoor labor was cultivated. He began mowing lawns for neighbors and within a few years applied for a job at Home Depot.
“I’ve always been a hard worker,” Caleb says. “My mom can vouch for that.”
He’s also a killer congo drum player, a talent he learned at Hidden Wings, where the drum playing is used as an effective therapy. He now plays the instrument in his church’s worship band.
“I don’t mind people looking at me anymore,” he says.
Founded by the Rev. James and Dr. Julia Billington, both honors graduates of Harvard University and the parents of two sons with autism, Hidden Wings seeks “to give hope to those whom society would leave behind by cultivating individual talents” and thus “unfurling the gifts of Autism.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!