Leader of bishops’ congregation says 90-year-old Pope Emeritus still doing theological reflections.
The cardinal from Quebec also pointed out that Peter’s current Successor and his predecessor have seen each other “in private circumstances” for consultations. In the cardinal’s view, Pope Francis needed, especially at the beginning, a “long explanation” about the difficulties of the Curia. And this, he added, served to prepare the ongoing reform.
Five years ago, on February 11, 2013, Benedict XVI announced his resignation from Peter’s Chair, because of his age. “After having examined my conscience before God,” he declared in Latin, “I have come to the certainty that my strength, because of my advancing age, is no longer sufficient for the proper exercise of the Petrine ministry.” At the same time, he said that he is “aware that this ministry, due to its spiritual essence, must be fulfilled not only in works and in words, but also, and not less, through suffering and through prayer.”
Aged 73, Cardinal Ouellet was appointed Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops by Pope Benedict XVI, after being Archbishop of Quebec. He was created cardinal by John Paul II in 2003, and participated as such in the conclaves of 2005 and 2013. The death of the former pontiff does not seem “imminent,” he added. AP
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!