One woman reflects on how she shed her insecurities from the past to become a more confident woman.
She continues, “Sometimes I feel like the same 16-year-old girl who didn’t know where to sit in the cafeteria.” Because high school is such a formative phase in our lives, the scars and insecurities we’re left with don’t quickly fade. Many are left with a nagging sense of unworthiness or a “loser complex,” relentless perfectionism, or a need for approval. That feeling of never-good-enough becomes so familiar that we forget that we have the option of living without it. But how can we let go when our younger selves seem to haunt us at every turn?
In a beautiful reflection posted on Facebook, Amy Weatherly shares her secret to overcoming these haunting insecurities: “I’m not her anymore. I may feel like her from time-to-time, but I’m not her. I’m wiser. I’m stronger. I’m better in most ways. I know how to be proud of exactly who God created me to be.”
She ends with an encouragement for other women: “I hope you know that too. That you aren’t the same girl you used to be. That you don’t have to worry about fitting in anymore. That you are free to be exactly who God created you to be. That you don’t have to be everyone’s cup of tea. You do it, friend. You do it with a smile. You do it with love. You do it with all the confidence in the world.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!