Once again the 20-year-old French soccer star uses his money for a worthy cause.
Within hours the authorities confirmed that it was the body of the 29-year-old star, who was born in Argentina. While his family and fans mourned, the pilot’s family were still unable to grieve properly without truly knowing what had happened to him. “We can not bear the thought of him being alone, we need him home so that we are able to lay him to rest,” they explained to the BBC.
As the first search proved costly at $416,000, the family didn’t have the funds to pay for a new search, so kind-hearted members of the public have been contributing to a GoFundMe page to help raise money for the pilot’s family. Notably, a large contribution came from Kylian Mbappe Lottin, the 20-year-old soccer star who plays for the French team PSG.
Mbappe donated around $35,000 under the name of Elie Lottin, a gesture typical of the young sportsman, who goes out of his way to use his fame and fortune for good causes. It’s heartening to see a successful young adult, who could so easily be caught up in the trappings of his fame, consistently think of others in need. Our prayers are with both families at this time and we hope a further search of the seabed will recover the body of Ibbotson so his family can finally lay him to rest.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!