Most people don’t realize that the South is home to some of the oldest and most beautiful Catholic churches and sites in the United States.
Often referred to as the “Bible Belt,” the American South is known for its strong Christian roots; but most people don’t realize that its earliest Christian roots were Catholic. While the Catholic presence has waned at times over the years, there is a new resurgence of the Catholic population leading to new parishes in many states.
View the slideshow to see seven Catholic sites to check out next time you head down south.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!