Featured on the backs of holy cards, this prayer is a fave for the Irish and non-Irish alike
Besides the beautiful example of his life, St. Patrick is also known as a powerful intercessor, bringing before God our needs and concerns. Many have prayed to God through the intercession of St. Patrick and been given a prompt response to their prayers.
Below is a popular prayer in honor of St. Patrick that is often printed on the backs of holy cards. Though the author is unknown, it is a favorite prayer, appealing with its lyric quality.
Remember, God always answers our prayers, thought it may not be in the manner we expect.
Hail, glorious St. Patrick! we, honor your name,
Tho’ Erin may claim you, the world knows your fame.
The faith of our fathers is our treasure too,
How holy the thought, that they learned it from you.
Thru crosses and trials its fires burn bright, they show us the way,
and the truth, and the light, Great Saint!
Intercede, that we always may be devoted and loyal, true children of yours.
Our love and devotion be ever like yours,
Our thought be of Jesus, our heart be His shrine.
And when to the end of life’s path we have trod,
Be near us great Bishop, Anointed of God.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!