It’s a prayer that can be difficult to say, but can set your heart at ease.
One prayer that can help you place your trust in God is the prayer of Jesus Christ on the cross.
Many have prayed over the centuries Jesus’ prayer, “Lord, into your hands I commend my spirit,” before going to bed.
It’s a powerful prayer, one that can be difficult to pray. The reason it can be difficult is because it’s the prayer Jesus said before dying on the cross. By saying this prayer, you are performing a complete act of resignation, giving to God your entire self, all your worries, anxieties, but also, your soul.
At the same time, when prayed in faith, this prayer can usher in feelings of peace and serenity. It recalls the reality that God is in control, not us. We can not change our circumstances, except through the grace of God. This can help relieve the burdens of your life, realizing that you are not alone. In fact, God is right there by your side.
St. John XXIII had a similar prayer that he prayed every night. As pope, he had much on his mind and was responsible for the entire Church. Think about the weight of that responsibility!
Instead of worrying all night long, he said simply to God, “It’s your Church, God. I’m going to bed!”
We should have the same attitude and place our lives in God’s hands, saying with Jesus, “Lord, into your hands I commend my spirit.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!