This alternative prayer is used saying the Rosary, and focuses our minds on the somber reality of the Passion.
The”Glory Be” prayer is usually said after praying each decade of the Rosary. This has been the custom for many centuries and is the most common way to pray the Rosary.
However, during Holy Week, and in some places starting from the 5th Sunday of Lent, the following prayer will be prayed in its place. The prayer highlights the Passion and death of Jesus and is meant to help Catholics meditate more on the suffering of Jesus.
V. Christ became obedient for us unto death.
R. Even to death on a cross.
These two verses are straight from St. Paul’s letter to the Philippians, “he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross” (Philippians 2:8).
This tradition is popular in the Philippines, and among Filipino Catholics spread throughout the world.
While not a mandatory custom, it reflects the somber mood of Holy Week and is in line with similar practices in the Church, such as omitting the Gloria or Alleluia during Lent.
For those looking for a new way to enter into Jesus’ Passion, try replacing the Glory Be with this prayer this year.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!