Our favorite portable finger food might explain religious orders and congregations better than most textbooks.
Explaining them in detail would require a long treatise on the history of the orders of the Catholic church and the different charisms that have been born in its bosom in the last two millennia. But since the internet’s attention span is said to last only eight seconds, memes and infographics have become our best allies to explain somehow elaborate ideas in often humorous images. Thank God for memes.
Now, the following slideshow is inspired by a viral Twitter thread by @AmeliaLKD, in which she compared Game of Thrones’ characters to sandwiches. It is now our turn to explain the specific charisms of 11 different Catholic religious orders, institutes and congregations by comparing them to some of our favorite portable finger food. Sure, the explanations might be quite simplistic, but they somehow hit the spot.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!