Turkish president speaks at groundbreaking ceremony for Mor Efrem Syriac Orthodox church.
Turkey’s population is overwhelmingly Muslim, but the government is officially nonsectarian.
The Syriac Orthodox of Mor Efrem will be constructed just outside Istanbul. In remarks at the groundbreaking ceremony Aug. 3, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said it will be a “new wealth” for the city, according to the Turkish Hurriyet Daily News.
“Like all their other issues, meeting the worshipping needs of the Assyrian community, the ancient children of our geography, is the duty of the state of the Republic of Turkey,” Erdoğan said. “We are a nation which has been ruling over this region for almost a millennium, and Istanbul for 566 years. Throughout this long history, our region has always been the heart of religious, ethnic and cultural diversity, most importantly of the conscience of humanity.
“To us, anyone who has affection and loyalty for Turkey and contributes to [the country] is a first-class citizen,” Erdoğan insisted.
According to the president, Turkey is currently hosting nearly 4 million Arabs, Kurds and Turkmens, as well as Muslims, Assyrians and Yezidis who came from Syria and Iraq since the rise of the Islamic State group.
“The real target of terror groups and their allies is our common homeland and the best way to disappoint them is to see our differences as our most important wealth,” Erdoğan said.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!