Their honesty was inspired by their own grandfather.
So when 14-year-old twins from Detroit came across a wallet filled with hundreds of dollars and returned it to the owner, people couldn’t help be impressed with these two young ladies.
Makhia and Makyla Vincent were walking to school when they came across the wallet lying in the snow. Looking inside, the girls discovered the usual credit cards, the cash and a veteran’s I.D. revealing its owner as Marc Walsh, Since their grandfather is a vet, the young women knew they had no choice but to return the wallet: “I would hate if that was my granddad and that happened to him, so I knew we had to return it,” they explained to WJBK, a Detroit TV station, in a report by Little Things.
Tracking down the owner’s address, the twins went to Walsh’s home. The disabled former Marine was not at home, so the girls signaled their find on Walsh’s surveillance camera and left the wallet by his door.
Walsh’s roommate contacted him to tell him of the girls’ visit. Walsh looked at the video and retrieved his wallet. The find was a big relief to him as he has been finding it difficult to get a job.
Yet, as with most acts of kindness, there’s a happy twist in the story. Thanks to the help of the TV station, the owner and the twins were put in contact and Walsh showed up at their door with a little surprise. Impressed by the girls’ honesty, the veteran rewarded them with the cash that had been in the wallet, proving how a little kindness really does go a long way.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!