“All believers together, believers of different traditions, to pray, fast, and perform works of charity.”
Pope Francis has called people of all religions to join together May 14, for a day of prayer, fasting and acts of charity, with the intention of the end of the pandemic.
Speaking before the midday Regina Caeli on May 3, Pope Francis said
Since prayer is a universal value, I have accepted the proposal of the Higher Committee for Human Fraternity for believers of all religions to unite spiritually this May 14 for a day of prayer, fasting, and works of charity, to implore God to help humanity overcome the coronavirus pandemic. Remember: 14 May, all believers together, believers of different traditions, to pray, fast, and perform works of charity.
The video is a first response to the appeal: You will see brothers and sisters around the world who are being affected by the worldwide pandemic. We hear their voices in a chorus of hope.
“Prayer is our greatest weapon against the virus.”
“What will we remember from this time? The things that unite us.”
“Let us pray to feel like Church, family, and to defeat the pandemic.”
“Let us pray so as to love neighbor.”
“In the face of the coronavirus, we cannot be demoralized.”
The Higher Committee for Human Fraternity is an organization that was created after the Holy Father met on February 4, 2019, with the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar. They together signed the Document on Human Fraternity—a joint statement calling for the reconciliation of people of goodwill in service of universal peace.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!