James Bond actor reiterates his love for the faith.
His latest profession came the other day on Ireland’s Late Late Show, when he told host Ryan Tubridy that that his Catholic faith has kept him in “good stead” throughout several difficult times in his life.
Brosnan turns 67 on May 16.
The actor-turned-activist recalled growing up in County Meath, where he attended Catholic schools.
“I was brought up an Irish Catholic, which has kept me in good stead throughout the trials and tribulations of my life,” he said, on the RTÉ broadcast.
The former 007 was discussing an Irish charity, Pieta House, which helps people who are tempted by suicide. Brosnan advised those going through emotional trials to “stay in contact with friends, reach out to people and if you have faith, some prayers in your heart, God in your heart and entrust God in yourself.”
He also discussed the key to having a long and happy marriage.
“It’s constant work, supporting and loving each other,” he said. He and his wife, Keely, recently celebrated their 26th anniversary.
“We have been blessed with a good friendship in life but always solving problems because there is always going to be problems, so you have to know how to solve them and get on with it,” he said.
Brosnan’s comments echoed comments he made in 2014, when asked what helped him through the deaths of his first wife, Cassandra Harris, in 1991 and his adopted daughter, Charlotte, in 2013, both from ovarian cancer.
“I would say faith, being Irish, being Catholic, it’s ingrained in my DNA,” he said.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!