“Dear young people, each one of these elderly people is your grandparent! Do not leave them by themselves.”
In many countries, the feast is the occasion for Grandparents’ Day.
The Holy Father referred to the special trials being endured by the elderly during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Though he has often reminded young people of the crucial role that the elderly have in their lives and for the future of the world, his appeal on Sunday had particular intensity. Every elderly person, he told youth, is “your grandparent.”
Here is what he said:
On the memorial of the Saints Joachim and Anne, Jesus “grandparents,” I would like to invite the young to perform a gesture of tenderness towards the elderly, especially the loneliest, in their homes and residences, those who have not seen their loved ones for many months.
Dear young people, each one of these elderly people is your grandparent! Do not leave them by themselves.
Use the inventiveness of love, make telephone calls, video calls, send messages, listen to them and, where possible, in compliance with the healthcare rules, go to visit them too. Send them a hug.
They are your roots. An uprooted tree cannot grow, it does not blossom or bear fruit. This is why the bond and connection with your roots is important. “The blossom of a tree comes from what it has underground,” says a poet from my homeland. Therefore I invite you to give a big round of applause for our grandparents, everyone!
Make sure to visit the slideshow below to discover seven meme-worthy quotes by Pope Francis.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!