Former Vice President Joe Biden has worn rosary beads every day since his son Beau died in 2015.
Biden appeared on “Megyn Kelly Today” on Monday to discuss his new book, Promise Me, Dad, which recounts Beau’s brain cancer diagnosis and eventual death.
Sitting beside wife Dr. Jill Biden, the former vice president opened up about the necklace he wears around his wrist, which he said connects him to his late son.
“I have not taken off the rosary Beau was wearing when he passed, since then. It is my connection with him,” Biden said.
Joseph “Beau” Biden III died at the age of 46 after a two-year battle with brain cancer. The younger Biden had served as Delaware’s attorney general from 2007 to 2015 and had planed to run for governor of Delaware in 2016.
Biden recounted that his son Hunter had purchased the rosary beads at Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico. “We all wore them,” Biden said.
“I am a practicing Catholic. Beau was a devout Catholic as well,” Biden told host Megyn Kelly. “Both of us found solace in the elements of the church. It is almost like meditation for us.”
You can watch Biden talk about this in the video above, at about the 2:00 mark.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!