Spirituality may be the hardest to share, but it is something worth pursuing with our spouse.
The adventure of shared faith
Few spouses strive for such intimacy. To achieve it, their relationship must be strong and share common views, and values: trust each other and desire to grow together in faith. However, a number of issues may discourage them from setting off on this journey: the fear of doing more than they can, sharing their doubts and weaknesses with each other or showing their vulnerability. But the sins we secretly confess before the Lord need not be exposed; He will visit each of our hearts and heal them.
There is more to each of us than our weaknesses and wickedness. There is also the long spiritual journey, enlightened and enriched by the reading of the Holy Scriptures, the hopes, the joy and the experiences that have made us grow. Revealing what God has taught us and the role He plays in our life allows our beloved to discover the treasures of our heart.
According to the blessing the priest gave us on our wedding day, we became man and wife because we were “married in the presence of the Lord.” So, the best way to find Christ and show our love to Him is through our love for each other. What St. John the Evangelist said about loving God (John 4:12) is even more pertinent for a Christian couple: “No man has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.”
It’s the only way that has been given to us to love God, in words and deed. This is how our love for God “is made complete” (John 4:17).
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!