A legendary colorist explains it’s a lot simpler — and cheaper — than we think!
“A lot of this is also from all the products we have out there now,” Mr. Robin said. “And women are so often in a rush. You have to cleanse properly. You have to take time to make sure you rinse all the products out.”
He offers a tutorial in the New York Times article, and you should definitely go and read the whole thing. But here are a few of his tips that I’m most excited about:
- Use a vegetable-based oil on the ends of your hair before shampooing. Ideally, Mr. Robin says you should leave it in overnight, but at least 15 minutes will be enough to soften and detangle your hair so you can skip the conditioner (!!!!!!!).
- Don’t wash more than twice a week. According to Mr. Robin, rinsing hair thoroughly and using the proper amount of product (about a teaspoon, emulsified with water) will keep most women’s hair clean for several days.
- Ditch the dry shampoo. By far my favorite tip. Mr. Robin recommends spritzing your hair with a vinegar solution — especially if you’re active and sweat a lot. A few drops of apple cider vinegar in 5 oz. of water will remove oil without leaving a residue. As a bonus, “the vinegar is a wonderful tonic for the scalp.”
Go read up, and then get ready to save a bundle on dry shampoo and conditioner. Oh, and to have healthier, lovelier hair, too!
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!