Other Condé Nast titles will also decrease in output
While they did not cite a reason for these changes, the decision came shortly after publishing an article entitled “A Guide to Anal Sex,” which drew backlash from activists and concerned parents. One woman, who calls herself “The Activist Mommy,” led a boycott of Teen Vogue calling for parents to:
“Go to your local gas stations, your local libraries, and your local grocery stores and ask to speak to the manager, or preferably the owner, and demand that they remove Teen Vogue from the shelves immediately.”
It is unclear if the boycott can be definitively credited with the media takedown, since Condé Nast could be following the downward trends of all printed media. However, it is likely the boycott did not help matters.
The Activist Mommy released a statement applauding the efforts of all who became involved:
I was beyond thrilled to learn today that Teen Vogue magazine will no longer be in print. The publisher, Condé Nast, has shuttered the print publication, while other Condé Nast publications will remain in print. Operation Pull Teen Vogue was a grassroots campaign by concerned parents who don’t believe anal sex and sex toys should be peddled to their children under the guise of a fashion magazine. Teen Vogue editors Elaine Welteroth and Phillip Picardi ignored our concerns and mocked our campaign, but we gave them a black eye from which they never recovered. Let the watching world take note: If you pander obscenity to our kids, especially for a profit, we will destroy you.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!