Evil spirits couldn’t stand to be in the presence of the Messiah.
It was an integral part of his mission, as Matthew narrates in his Gospel, “That evening they brought to him many who were possessed with demons; and he cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick” (Matthew 8:16).
Among other things, it was a reminder to all that he was God and evil spirits can not stand to be in his presence. They disobeyed him once before and are forever repelled by his divine goodness.
Here are four episodes from the Gospels that relate this extraordinary power, reassuring us today that if we ever feel oppressed by evil, invoking Jesus’ intercession is the surest way to expel that darkness.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!