After calling off her own engagement, she gave a special gift to another bride and groom.
She announced the decision on Facebook, saying, “With my engagement ending, I’ve come to find tremendous peace in knowing that I did the right thing for the both of us. With that being said, now I want to do the right thing by others and let some good come out of this decision.”
After receiving many suggestions of worthy couples, Sanders placed all the names in a hat and drew out the names of Halie Hipsher and Matt Jones.
Sanders said, “I don’t think it was a decision I had to make, it kind of just came natural. The second I knew it wasn’t going to be my wedding anymore, I had asked the venue people if it could make this someone else’s wedding.”
When Hipsher found out she had been selected, she was thrilled. “I was in shock,” she said. “As soon as my sister called me, I was like ‘All right, this is real, this is my name.'” Hipsher had been tagged in the Facebook by her sister, and coincidentally lives only 30 minutes away from Sanders.
Hipsher and her fiancé had planned their wedding for next year, but the surprise donation meant they had to move it up significantly. Fortunately, this meant that Hipsher’s grandfather, who is battling stage IV pancreatic cancer, can attend. The two brides say they’ve bonded immensely over the generous gift.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!