After calling off her own engagement, she gave a special gift to another bride and groom.
She announced the decision on Facebook, saying, “With my engagement ending, I’ve come to find tremendous peace in knowing that I did the right thing for the both of us. With that being said, now I want to do the right thing by others and let some good come out of this decision.”
After receiving many suggestions of worthy couples, Sanders placed all the names in a hat and drew out the names of Halie Hipsher and Matt Jones.
Sanders said, “I don’t think it was a decision I had to make, it kind of just came natural. The second I knew it wasn’t going to be my wedding anymore, I had asked the venue people if it could make this someone else’s wedding.”
When Hipsher found out she had been selected, she was thrilled. “I was in shock,” she said. “As soon as my sister called me, I was like ‘All right, this is real, this is my name.'” Hipsher had been tagged in the Facebook by her sister, and coincidentally lives only 30 minutes away from Sanders.
Hipsher and her fiancé had planned their wedding for next year, but the surprise donation meant they had to move it up significantly. Fortunately, this meant that Hipsher’s grandfather, who is battling stage IV pancreatic cancer, can attend. The two brides say they’ve bonded immensely over the generous gift.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!