“O Little Infant Jesus, my only treasure, I abandon myself to Your every wish.”
I had offered myself to the Child Jesus to be His little plaything. I told Him not to treat me like one of those precious toys which children only look at and dare not touch, but to treat me like a little ball of no value, that could be thrown on the ground, kicked about, pierced, left in a corner, or pressed to His Heart just as it might please Him. In a word I wished to amuse the Holy child and to let Him play with me as He fancied.
This spirituality remained with her throughout her life and she even took the name “Therese of the Child Jesus” when she received the religious habit of a Carmelite nun.
Below is a brief prayer she composed to the baby Jesus, which is a perfect prayer for Christmas.
O Little Infant Jesus, my only treasure, I abandon myself to Your every wish. I seek no other joy than that of calling forth Your sweet smile. Grant me the graces and the virtues of Your Holy Childhood, so that on the day of my birth into Heaven the angels and saints may recognize me as Your little spouse.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!