When the temptation is hard to dismiss and you feel like turning away from God, pray this prayer.
When a temptation seeks to conquer our souls and lead us away from God, the best thing to do is pray.
Sometimes we may not have the strength to pray using our own words and need the help of a memorized prayer. In these cases, it may be helpful to say a prayer similar to the one below to wake us out of our attraction to sin.
Saying the prayer over and over again will reinforce it in our mind as well as call upon God’s grace to give us the peace we need.
The next time you feel tempted to commit a sin, try this prayer and entrust yourself to the mercy of God.
My God! Let me rather die than offend thee. My Divine Savior! Assist me by thy powerful grace, mercifully preserve me from yielding to this temptation, and give me a great horror for sin. Lord! Save me, or I shall perish.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!