Whether they are going to school or simply walking out of the house, pray this prayer over them.
Yet, our heart can be at peace when we entrust their life to God, putting him in charge of protecting our children from any harm. If we can’t protect them, surely he can cover them with his powerful arm.
Below is a prayer from the book of Numbers, said by the priest over the people of Israel. It is a prayer that is well-known and is sometimes used by Catholic priests today during the liturgy. As a parent, you have the authority to bless your children using similar words, and your blessing can have a profound effect upon them. Don’t be afraid to use it and let your heart be at ease, knowing that whatever might happen, God is in control.
May the Lord bless you and keep you!
May the Lord let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you!
May the Lord look upon you kindly and give you peace! (Numbers 6:24-26)
You can end this prayer with a blessing upon the forehead, making the sign of the cross and saying, “May God bless you and protect you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!