One Chicago woman is providing “hair care with heart” to people all over the country.
Enter Tamekia Swint, a Chicago hairdresser who founded a non-profit charity, Styles 4 Kidz, to share her specialized skills with families who’ve adopted transracially and who need a helping hand. The Shade Room reports that her positive classes give her young clients a real appreciation for their precious locks, while giving parents much-needed advice to help their children feel good about themselves.
Swint’s compassionate classes — which the non-profit charity calls “Hair Care With Heart” — are proving very popular; going from three clients in 2010 to 500 families nationwide. It’s not surprising because every parent wants their child to feel beautiful and good about themselves, and with Swint’s support it’s possible.
View this post on Instagram
Tamekia Swint is the owner of Stylez 4 Kids (@styles4kidznfp), a hair salon outside of Chicago, Illinois that teaches transracial families how to care for black hair. In this safe space, mixed race, foster and adoptive kids are empowered to love their natural hair and parents can learn how to style their child, without judgment or negative criticism. . . . #blackhair #blackhairstyles #adoption #adoptionrocks #fosterlove #fostercare #salon
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!