It doesn’t take long to scroll through your social media feed to find a bit of news that makes you angry, sad or both.
Yet, for a Christian, these things need to be put in their proper place. God desires peace in our soul and world events shouldn’t disrupt it.
St. John of the Cross, in his Sayings of Light and Love, explains this spiritual disposition.
Strive to preserve your heart in peace; let no event of this world disturb it; reflect that all must come to an end.
While his words are brief and to the point, he does make a good point: “all must come to an end.” It’s true that war and violence continue to envelop the world and we can only do so much about it. We need to keep in mind that all the suffering in the world will come to an end, even our own suffering.
This world is only temporary and the bad things that happen in it, last for a short time. We do have a responsibility to do good, and promote peace and justice in the world. However, most of us have a very limited realm of influence. We can only do so much and after we have done all that we can, we need to give it to God. He will take care of it and order all things for the ultimate good of humanity.
When we see the terrible things that are happening in the world, we can’t let it disturb our peace. We need to keep everything in perspective and trust that God has a plan. If we are able to recognize this reality, the world news won’t get under our skin, because we know who is in charge.
Remember, do what you can, but leave the rest to God. He has more influence than we could ever have.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!