Start the Christmas season right with “Santa Claus is Coming to Town.”
The video opens up with a little cheesy banter between Andrea and the pianist, which we can forgive, since Christmas is the one time of year when the sentimentality of the season practically demands a little bit of sap. Then Bocelli practically erupts into the song, followed closely by the orchestra.
The arrangement is sweet and Bocelli even pulls out a Hohner Melodica — an instrument which acts like a pump organ, but utilizes the performers breath — for a brief solo. The children’s choir which surrounds Bocelli are all excellent singers who do a great job backing up the legendary operatic star. Try not to be distracted by the little girl in blue chewing gum through the whole song, which singers should not do.
This treatment of “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” may not be quite as good as that of the Jackson 5, but what makes this video utterly heartwarming is the look on the kids faces when Bocelli takes one long-held note and raises it up an octave in a crescendo. The expressions of wonder in their eyes almost rivals any Christmas gift.
It should be noted that the children were not singing at the moment when the above screen shot was taken. The boy is just struck with genuine awe at Andrea’s incredible tenor.
The children make the song and their voices complement Andrea’s beautifully. We especially liked the little back and forth they had at the very end.
What? You still want to hear more? Oh all right.
Here’s the best version. Prove us wrong.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!