Sometimes our cold heart needs the warmth of the Spirit to participate more fully in Mass.
However, it is tempting for many of us to attend Mass and only warm the pew and not our hearts. We simply go through the motions, and are not “consciously” participating in the liturgy.
One way to light a fire in our soul is to ask the Holy Spirit to inflame our heart with a deep love of God and understanding of the Mass. We need the guidance of the Holy Spirit if we are to offer ourselves to God at Mass, preparing our hearts to receive Jesus in the Most Holy Eucharist.
Here is a short prayer from an 1876 prayer book that perfectly summarizes this desire and is a great way to get in the right spiritual mood before Mass begins.
Holy Spirit, fill my cold heart with love, that I may hear this Mass with much reverence and devotion.
Mary, my Mother, pray for me. My Guardian-angel, shield me from all vain and wandering thoughts.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!