Fr. Boniface warmly admits, “It was not my idea. My people came forward and began to organize themselves.”
History aside, today the parish boasts a thriving community, but many of its loyal parishioners are particularly vulnerable to COVID-19.
So St. Joseph’s has organized a response.
Members of the parish’s Young Professionals group came forward and offered their services to the pastor of St. Joseph’s, Fr. Boniface Endorf, O.P.
Fr. Boniface warmly admits, “It was not my idea. My people came forward and began to organize themselves.” Other parishioners have since joined them.
Should any elderly or at-risk parishioner need an errand run or supplies purchased from the grocery, they get in touch via phone or email with the pastor. Fr. Boniface then contacts one of the “ready” volunteers. This allows at-risk parishioners to continue to maintain their quarantine.
“We need charity most when things are dire,” says Fr. Boniface. “Without charity, caring for the sick is cold, institutional procedure. This is a parish, not a social club. We care for those in need.”
Referring to St. Paul’s testimony of charity exchanged among the first Christian communities, Fr. Boniface exhorted that the mark of Christianity is to care for those in need.
Presently, the Archdiocese of New York has allowed churches to remain open. While Fr. Boniface’s staff will work as they are able from home, the pastor and friars in residence at St. Joseph’s will do everything possible to continue to support parishioners.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!