May the Lord, good and merciful, grant the concerted prayer of His children who, with trustful hope, turn to His omnipotence.
I reiterate to all my invitation to participate spiritually, through the media, in the moment of prayer at which I will preside the day after tomorrow, Friday, at 6 p.m., in front of Saint Peter’s Basilica. The Word of God and the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament will be followed by my Urbi et Orbi blessing, associated with the plenary indulgence.
Pope Francis reiterated his call to join him in prayer on Friday, March 27, saying that a special urbi et orbi blessing will be given.
The hour-long service was moving, with the dramatic emptiness of St. Peter’s Square and Basilica adding to the solemnity.
Never in history has a similar ceremony occurred, with the graces of the extraordinary “urbi et orbi” blessing being received almost entirely by people tuned in through the live broadcast.
In the slideshow below, see 12 of the moving images of the Holy Father, and six of the most striking portions of his homily.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!