“Jesus, make my heart more like yours.”
June is the month traditionally focused on devotion to the Sacred Heart, which the pope said is a “devotion that unites the great spiritual teachers and the simple among the people of God. Indeed, the human and divine Heart of Jesus is the wellspring where we can always draw upon God’s mercy, forgiveness, and tenderness,” he said.
To access this wellspring, the pope said, we can focus on a passage of the Gospel, “feeling that at the center of every gesture, of every word of Jesus, at the center there is love, the love of the Father who sent His Son, the love of the Holy Spirit that is within us.”
“And we can do this by adoring the Eucharist, where this love is present in the Sacrament,” he said. “Then our heart too, little by little, will become more patient, more generous, more merciful, in imitation of the Heart of Jesus.”
There is an ancient prayer – I learned it from my grandmother – which said: ‘Jesus, make my heart more like yours.’ It is a beautiful prayer. ‘Make my heart more like yours.’ A beautiful prayer, short, to pray during this month. Shall we say it together now? ‘Jesus, make my heart more like yours.’ Once more: ‘Jesus, make my heart more like yours.’
Make sure to visit the slideshow below to discover seven inspired and inspiring phrases from Pope Francis on kindness, forgiveness, and solidarity.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!